From Chris Adams <chris.ad...@headshift.com>
Subject Re: Query about chef compaction - why would it fail silently?
Date Fri, 14 May 2010 09:10:18 GMT
Thanks the reply Sebastian!

I've since extended the drive to allow for a compaction, but calling _compact still doesn't
seem to start the compaction process:

I've gisted the same system stats again below, it it helps:

http://gist.github.com/400920

Any other ideas?

On 14 May 2010, at 09:40, Sebastian Cohnen wrote:

> I hope couchdb is not at /dev/mapper/system-var :) you need some free space, because
couch is copying all the latest, non-conflicting documents over to a new file and afterwards
swaps out the old database file with the newly created one.

> On 14.05.2010, at 10:00, Chris Adams wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I'm a little confused by the behaviour of couchdb's compact command, and I suspect
the solution is really quite simple, but I'm still new to couchdb, so please excuse the noobish
question:

>> I'm trying to compact a 5.6gb couchdb database that's been generated by chef, using
this command:

>> curl -X POST http://localhost:5984/chef/_compact
>>
>> However, when I check the status back, couch doesn't seem to be compacting:
>>
>> curl -X GET http://localhost:5984/chef/
>>
>> I'm following the insturctions here - http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Compaction
>>
>> Why might it not start compacting when I call the compact command like this?
>>
>> The VM that's running the couchdb database is almost at capacity disk space wise,
and I'm using couchdb version 0.10.0 (I've gisted this info here http://gist.github.com/400920,
and the output from the compact commands here )