From "c.Kleinhuis" ...@digitalgott.de>
Subject Re: large attachments/huge databases ?`
Date Fri, 14 May 2010 09:09:36 GMT
hi, thank you for your description, and the project is only storing
metadata :D
the files will be updated via ftp syncronize :D

i will post another question right now ...
> CK,
>
> My $0.02 on the storage of the videos is not to use CouchDB for that.  Use Couch to store
metadata on the files.  Stuff like filesystem path, server holding the file, date, time-stamp,
video info, etc.  The actual files are better stored in a filesystem somewhere else.  It's
kind of the idea of Facebook's Haystack project (http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=76191543919).
 That's Facebook's system to store photos.

> The problem with storing large attachments in any database is you're creating a filesystem
on a filesystem. You ask Couch for a file, Couch has to go the filesystem to get the files,
and then you go back and forth between Couch and the filesystem getting information that then
gets sent back to you.  Removing the middle-man, Couch in this case, should give you better
performance and a smaller DB.  As Couch, "where should I find the file" and the your application
just goes out and gets the file directly.

> There used to be a great article explaining why putting large files in a database (the
article was about MySQL) was a bad idea but I can't seen to find it anymore.