From Sebastian Cohnen <sebastiancoh...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: large attachments/huge databases ?`
Date Thu, 13 May 2010 17:38:43 GMT
Hey,

On 13.05.2010, at 18:35, c.Kleinhuis wrote:

> i need to convience my project manager ;)
>
> -he read that indexing is significantly higher than e.g. mysql -
> my answer was that indexing is not affecting performance because it is a
> one time action ....

Right, once indices are generated, they are updated incrementally and very fast on access.

> -another point is general performance of about e.g. 200.000 documents in a single
> database ... how is disk usage when maintaining versioning of each document ?
> -can the versioning be deactivated or deleted ?!

Again, there is no "versioning" of documents - at least not what most people expect from document
versioning. There are only two reasons why couchdb keep "versions" of documents: MVCC and
the append-only principle.

You need to compact your database on a regular bases (depending on your updates to documents)
and no, there is no way to completely disable "versioning" (and it wouldn't make any sense
to do that). The append-only approach leads automatically to higher disk usage compared to
in-place updates, thus you need to cleanup your database (run compaction) but you win robustness
and there is no fixup phase needed in case of hardware failure e.g.

> and finally it is about handling huge movie files ( production 720p files ) which
> must be handled somehow, what happens if an upload fails, or should a proxy like
> php be used to receive those files, and just store a reference in the couchdb ?

You can upload files of any size directly to couchdb. I personally would store bigger files
externally, because compaction is going to be a pain, when you have much updates to documents.
I would say it depends on your use case and maybe you have to build some throwaway-prototypes
and play with the different approaches.

> thx in advance
> ck

you're welcome :)