From James Fisher <jameshfis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org
Date Wed, 14 Apr 2010 09:27:56 GMT
On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 7:07 AM, J Chris Anderson <jchris@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 13, 2010, at 12:21 PM, James Fisher wrote:
>
> > Apalling internet connection atm.  Try:
> http://i41.tinypic.com/156aeds.jpg
> >

> James,
>
> Your site design has growing on me all day. Especially when I picture it
> with the old Myriad logo and a toned-down cyan background color. You've
> inspired me to write copy that I hope tells the CouchDB story in a way
> that's been lacking on the current site, emphasizing the use cases for which
> CouchDB is uniquely suited.
>
> I'd love feedback from people, mostly about direction and tone. I'm sure
> we'll do a spelling etc pass before anything goes live. Right now I'm just
> interested in the big section headers, and the overall points. Are there
> other big headings missing? Should one of the topics be addressed in a
> different way?
>
> Cross posting to dev because I think site design and copy is one of those
> things that should be discussed on both lists.

I'll join that.

> Here it is:
>
> ==
>
> Time to Relax
> Goodbye, schemas and SQL, hello JSON and Map Reduce. Apache CouchDB is a
> database built for the web.
>
> Ground Computing

This is the one thing I'm not sure of here -- is "ground computing" an
established term?  Not sure what it means.

> CouchDB solves the data-island problem for you, so you can write offline
> capable applications using a simple document model. Peer-based replication
> allows for flexible deployments, data-sharing between organizations, and
> no-hassle backups. Running CouchDB on the client with continuous replication
> to remote servers also offers better latency and reliability than
> traditional three-tier architectures. Ground computing is the future of the
> web.
>
> Web Scale
> CouchDB's Erlang and REST-based implementation is designed to scale from a
> smartphone to a data-center, and beyond. It presents the same API whether
> running on a small local instance, a multi-terabyte eventually-consistent
> cluster, or an ad-hoc network of collaborators.
>
> Reliable
> CouchDB uses append-only storage, never touching any bytes already written
> to disk. This means once an update is committed, it is durable -- even
> truncating a CouchDB database file yields a consistent snapshot of an older
> version of the database. Writes are contiguous, giving CouchDB predictable
> performance even under heavily concurrent write load.
>
> Flexible
> CouchDB is queried using Map Reduce functions written in JavaScript (or
> your language of choice). Map Reduce's flexibility you can start saving your
> data today, and adapt your queries as your application evolves, without
> migrating your data formats. CouchDB's views are optimized for (soft)
> real-time workloads, rather than large batch operations. Thanks to the MVCC
> data model, CouchDB's views are suitable for banking and other operations
> that require consistency.
>
> Trusted
> CouchDB is deployed by the BBC, Meebo, Cloudant and Ubuntu One. It ships as
> a core feature of Ubuntu Linux. There are access libraries available in
> nearly every language.

I like this.  It's less patronising than my copy.  The main thing I like is
that it's thoroughly real-world-oriented -- no acronym without telling you
why you should care.

I'm guessing the small text area I'm currently working with could become
inhibiting very soon.  I would consider putting your five globs of text
side-by-side across the width of the page -- a bit like the five sections in
http://www.ubuntu.com/ (has anyone else seen the new ubuntu branding? --
blech!).  The page links could possibly go up top somehow.

> ==
>
> I'd like to pepper this text with hyperlinks to blog-posts and other
> documentation, case-studies, etc. We could expand the list of users in the
> last section by a couple of names, if people have suggestions.
>
> Chris

I'm going to put the current stuff on github in the next hour or so.