From James Fisher <jameshfis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org
Date Wed, 14 Apr 2010 09:13:42 GMT
On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 12:39 AM, Michael Ludwig <milu71@gmx.de> wrote:

> James Fisher schrieb am 13.04.2010 um 19:57:52 (+0100):
>
> > * I got rid of the green.  To keep things dead simple I switched to
> > the exact complement of the main red -- a cyan.
>
> I strongly dislike cyan, just like magenta: these colors are aggressive
> on the eye. The screechy appearance certainly reinforces the toy appeal
> conveyed by the logo, which I agree is unfortunate, not so much for the
> color but for the electrocuted figure flung onto that couch you'd never
> buy.

Rest assured no magenta will be introduced :)

I've already lightened the cyan considerably.  I don't think it's a
fundamentally toyish colour -- see e.g.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/ palette.

After my harsh criticism of the "couch you'd never buy" earlier, I've
completely turned face -- I think (hope) I've put it in a visual context in
which it's at home.

> * I'm not really sure about those cushions I hacked up.  The idea
> > might be alright, but the curveyness and gradients totally conflict
> > with the CouchDB logo.
>
> They do. And add more toy appeal. I am not a database.

I've tried several approaches with the cushions, but none have worked well
enough.  I'm going to try something different, and a bit more serious.

> What I haven't seen so far is an overview of all the features that are
> supported and also of those typical database features that are *not*
> supported.

Not sure what you mean.  The text is partly placeholder and far from
finalized.  You mean you'd like something on the main page that says "What
we Have but No-one Else Does"?