From James Fisher <jameshfis...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2010 09:15:20 GMT
On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 11:17 PM, J Chris Anderson <jchris@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 19, 2010, at 11:41 AM, James Fisher wrote:
>
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I've had a long weekend away.  Nice to see this thread's still active.
> >
> > I've procured a copy of Myriad, and swapped Candela out.  My opinions
> > haven't really changed in that regard, but the majority seem to be in
> favour
> > of keeping Myriad.  (Though I almost cried at comparisons of Candela with
> > Comic Sans.  I could show you what that would look like; you'd be
> > horrified.  It's a shame that that abomination has destroyed any
> > reputability of any other rounded fonts.)
> >

> I'm fairly certain that we can't check Myriad into the ASF repo, no matter
> what. (Well, unless we can convince the authors to put it under an open
> license.)

Hey Chris,

DW, that's not what I was suggesting.  The use of Myriad would be restricted
to rasterized versions of the: (1) logo, (2) "time to relax" slogan, (3)
"Goodbye, ..." intro text (that's now rasterized into the background PNG in
the screenshot).  I was hoping that someone with a good copy of Myriad
could:

* fork my git repo
* open the background SVG in Inkscape
* change the appropriate text to Myriad semibold
* resize the text as appropriate
* convert all Myriad text to paths (so I can work with it)
* update the raster copy of the background (background.png)
* push

That way Myriad would never be uploaded.

> On a separate note I'm not sure how I feel about CSS fonts in general.
> Maybe I'm an old timer, but Helvetica and Georgia are all we really need!

As should now be clear, I wasn't using Myriad as a @font-face font.  The
screenshot was misleading in that I now obviously have an installed copy of
Myriad on my machine.

WRT Helvetica: I'm not one of those font purists that loves Helvetica over
Arial -- in the interests of consistency, if Arial were a possible
alternative, I'd just use that in CSS.

Also: dunno what you think, but Verdana seems more like cheap Myriad
substitutes than Arial.  Note the much more open counters.  In fact, I've
just been experimenting, and Verdana 12px ~= Myriad 14px nicely enough that
I barely notice it.

> Too bad, the Myriad screenshot looks really nice, but I think we shouldn't
> get too hooked on the impossible.
>
> > WRT Chris' fork:
> >
> > * I like the copy; I've pulled it
>
> Thanks! (Although your screenshot still shows the old copy.)
>
> I also changed the quote to one that doesn't mention Django at all:
>
> “I’ve never seen software that so completely embraces the philosophies
> behind HTTP... this is what the software of the future looks like.”
> — Jacob Kaplan-Moss, Django creator

Screenshot updated.  It's such a flattering quote, I think everyone has
their own favourite parts of it :)

> > * The background color I was using was too gloomy, but I'm not sure
> swapping
> > back to plain is the best solution.  I've lightened the cyans I was
> working
> > with.
> > * I understand the desire to keep the old logotype, but the "relax"
> slogan
> > looks even more cramped now that the rest of the site has more space.
> > * The left-hand-side navigation could be OK if the right CSS was applied.
> > The bullet points seriously break up the left align, which I would say is
> > bad.  Also, it suffers from the problem that was the reason I moved from
> > there: the huge amount of space it takes from the body text.  That's
> alright
> > with promo material, but if (e.g.) you wanted to style a wiki using the
> same
> > (or similar) design, it would be terribly cramped.
>
> I have a feeling pages other than the front page would not dedicate the
> upper 500px to a relaxing picture of guy on a Couch under a lamp, so we
> could so something for nav in that space.

Heh, yeah.  ATM my suggestion for more compact pages would be something
like:

* Remove the intro text
* Remove the quote and the lamp
* Move the sofa guy up to roughly fill that space

> I agree, the bullet list isn't good. That's the point at which I stopped
> working...
>

> > This is how things stand:
> > http://github.com/eegg/couchdb_web/raw/master/screenshot.png

Updated screenshot:
http://github.com/eegg/couchdb_web/raw/master/screenshot.png
Rasterized Myriad; Verdana webfont.

> With Myriad, I like the nav at the top right a lot more. Maybe it'll look
> ok in Helvetica also?
>
> > Large caveat: the bold text for "CouchDB ... time to relax" should
> actually
> > be in *Semibold*.  Annoyingly, I can't set that with my warez copy of
> > Myriad.  Perhaps someone could edit the SVG and re-rasterize, and I'll
> pull
> > it.
> >

> > James
> >
> > On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Robert Dionne <
> dionne@dionne-associates.com
> >> wrote:
> >
> >> This is looking quite nice. I'm not a grammar expert but I think you can
> >> lose the two commas.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>
> >> Bob

> >> CouchDB is built of the Web."

> screenshot:

> >> toward something like his first layout (but without the pillows.)

> work,
> >> but it was fun to get my hands dirty.

They
> >> both

> [...]