From faust 1111 <faust...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: About denormalization and keep consistent
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2010 18:44:16 GMT
Thanks Chris.

> Your idea to do it in the app server, as the author changes their master record, is troubling
because it can lead to race conditions. The changes method, where a name-update is an asynchronous
process, is more robust, because you can know for sure that *eventually* the author's name
will be changed everywhere it appears.

You told about more robust method, you mean run backend process listen
_changes feed for Authors,
and when changes come try update all contents related to author?
If i get you right, i don't understand you
>because you can know for sure that *eventually* the author's name will be changed everywhere
it appears.
What you mean?

> My method is to have a view of docs by author, and then query that view for the old author's
name, updating any docs that appear. This way if new writes come in with the old name (due
to there being out of date replicas of the master record lingering, for instance) they will
be eventually updated as well. You could have a time-to-live of something like 5 minutes (or
longer if your system is giant) for the process which is running the query for docs-that-say-Joe-but-should-say-Joseph
and updating them.

Probably i don't get you:
I track _changes feed, when change come you suggest query that view
for the old author's name, but how i know old name, author doc all
ready with newest name.

Sorry for getting your time, to answer for stupid questions.

2010/4/9 J Chris Anderson <jchris@gmail.com>:

> On Apr 8, 2010, at 11:55 PM, faust 1111 wrote:
>
>> Yes i understand that listen _changes is better to get round race conditions.
>>
>> Cannot get your suggesting about
>> how i can track that all contents related to author was updated not 5
>> of 50 but all.
>>

> I think your question is valid. The answer is also simple. There is no way to transactionally
ensure that the author's name is updated everywhere it appears.

> Your idea to do it in the app server, as the author changes their master record, is troubling
because it can lead to race conditions. The changes method, where a name-update is an asynchronous
process, is more robust, because you can know for sure that *eventually* the author's name
will be changed everywhere it appears.

> It is probably best to make this clear through the UI with a message like: "Your name
has been changed in the master record. It could take a few minutes for the change to appear
throughout the site."

> In actuality, this is probably no different than in a relational database (as in a relational
database, you'd probably have a caching layer that takes a few minutes to expire anyway.)

>> Thats ok.
>> I don't understand if listen feed _chenges, feed give me info only
>> about id & rev of changed doc, how i can get that author name is
>> changed?
>>

> My method is to have a view of docs by author, and then query that view for the old author's
name, updating any docs that appear. This way if new writes come in with the old name (due
to there being out of date replicas of the master record lingering, for instance) they will
be eventually updated as well. You could have a time-to-live of something like 5 minutes (or
longer if your system is giant) for the process which is running the query for docs-that-say-Joe-but-should-say-Joseph
and updating them.

> _changes is just a convenient way to trigger that view query (so that you aren't polling
the view when nothing has happened in the database.) With filtered changes, you can even be
sure that you are only polling the view when there will be something relevant to see. However,
all this _changes stuff is really just an optimization over brute force polling the view once
every N seconds, so you can add it later, when your app is big enough that load starts to
matter.

> Chris
>

>> 2010/4/9 Nicholas Orr <nicholas.orr@zxgen.net>:
>>> i don't think you are getting what the above people are suggesting...
>>>
>>> Go read up on the _changes API :)
>>>
>>> The basics are, every single change in the database is pushed into this
>>> feed. All race conditions that are caused by your ruby way (via the filter)
>>> are averted :)
>>>
>>> Nick

docs was updated)