From faust 1111 <faust...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: About denormalization and keep consistent
Date Fri, 09 Apr 2010 19:22:39 GMT
>Author changes their profile document.

>Something listening to the _changes feed notices this.

>It starts a process querying for docs that have the old author profile, and fixing those
docs. Eventually all the >docs have been updated. Then its work is done.

But how
>Something listening to the _changes feed notices this.
know about old author name?

2010/4/9 J Chris Anderson <jchris@gmail.com>:

> On Apr 9, 2010, at 11:44 AM, faust 1111 wrote:
>
>> Thanks Chris.
>>
>>> Your idea to do it in the app server, as the author changes their master record,
is troubling because it can lead to race conditions. The changes method, where a name-update
is an asynchronous process, is more robust, because you can know for sure that *eventually*
the author's name will be changed everywhere it appears.

>> You told about more robust method, you mean run backend process listen
>> _changes feed for Authors,
>> and when changes come try update all contents related to author?
>> If i get you right, i don't understand you
>>> because you can know for sure that *eventually* the author's name will be changed
everywhere it appears.
>> What you mean?
>>

> the basic pattern is:
>
> Author changes their profile document.
>
> Something listening to the _changes feed notices this.
>
> It starts a process querying for docs that have the old author profile, and fixing those
docs. Eventually all the docs have been updated. Then its work is done.

> The only complication is, maybe a write with the old (stale) author profile comes in
much later (for some reason) so maybe you want to recheck any of those background processes
that you spawned, again an hour after they complete. or something. with a small site you don't
have to worry about this but if you are operating at web scale it will start to matter.

>>> My method is to have a view of docs by author, and then query that view for the
old author's name, updating any docs that appear. This way if new writes come in with the
old name (due to there being out of date replicas of the master record lingering, for instance)
they will be eventually updated as well. You could have a time-to-live of something like 5
minutes (or longer if your system is giant) for the process which is running the query for
docs-that-say-Joe-but-should-say-Joseph and updating them.

>> Probably i don't get you:
>> I track _changes feed, when change come you suggest query that view
>> for the old author's name, but how i know old name, author doc all
>> ready with newest name.
>>
>> Sorry for getting your time, to answer for stupid questions.

>>> I think your question is valid. The answer is also simple. There is no way to
transactionally ensure that the author's name is updated everywhere it appears.

>>> Your idea to do it in the app server, as the author changes their master record,
is troubling because it can lead to race conditions. The changes method, where a name-update
is an asynchronous process, is more robust, because you can know for sure that *eventually*
the author's name will be changed everywhere it appears.

>>> It is probably best to make this clear through the UI with a message like: "Your
name has been changed in the master record. It could take a few minutes for the change to
appear throughout the site."

>>> In actuality, this is probably no different than in a relational database (as
in a relational database, you'd probably have a caching layer that takes a few minutes to
expire anyway.)

>>> My method is to have a view of docs by author, and then query that view for the
old author's name, updating any docs that appear. This way if new writes come in with the
old name (due to there being out of date replicas of the master record lingering, for instance)
they will be eventually updated as well. You could have a time-to-live of something like 5
minutes (or longer if your system is giant) for the process which is running the query for
docs-that-say-Joe-but-should-say-Joseph and updating them.

>>> _changes is just a convenient way to trigger that view query (so that you aren't
polling the view when nothing has happened in the database.) With filtered changes, you can
even be sure that you are only polling the view when there will be something relevant to see.
However, all this _changes stuff is really just an optimization over brute force polling the
view once every N seconds, so you can add it later, when your app is big enough that load
starts to matter.

>>> Chris

B maintains a denormed
in a backend process.