From Moritz Post <moritzp...@gmail.com>
Subject Using _rev in application logic
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2010 12:32:18 GMT
Hi CouchDB people

I am currently playing with the couchdb and pretty impressed by several of
the feature on offer. Great job so far. While reading up on various web
resources i have come to conclude that it is discouraged to use the _rev
field for application related logic since the revisions are removed when
compacting and they are not replicated when using replication.

Looking at my possible usecase however, i would very much like to use the
_rev key to track changes in my document. So here are several questions
regarding that topic:

1. Is it generally discouraged to use the _rev in application logic?
2. Is compacting something i would like to do for other reasons than to
remove older revisions (so i could basically not do it)
2. Is it possible to somehow also replicate the revision while replicating?
3. Is it good practice to use the _rev field in views?

Any other clarifications in regards to _rev are also welcome.

Thanks in advance and keep up the good work

Greets
Moritz