From Kenneth Tyler <...@8thfold.com>
Subject an aggregate object
Date Mon, 12 Apr 2010 20:59:24 GMT
this may sound a little strange

i am trying to build up a "content" object that can contain several
kinds of files.

for example, it might contain a some text, and an image, and a video clip

i want to tag my documents in couch so that i can retrieve the whole
"family" of documents

so i use a field called "name" and i put the uuid generated for the
first document in the family into that field in all the documents i
want to belong to the content "family".... i add that documents own
uuid as the second part of the "name": 89ehjwol8e7/7896w89e6r

i this case we would have documents T I AND V, and they would all have
"names" with the same uuid at the beginning of the string

so i can make a view with the "name" fields as the key and get back
all three documents by using a regular expression that looks for the
common head of the string in all the name fields

it gets more complicated later... but first i wanted to check and see
if this approach "fits" with the way couchdb "wants" things to be done

i love couch... i really think its going to be huge.... i'm coming
from a ms access application developer background... so a lot of stuff
is strange at first... and i have a lot of "relational" habits about
how i think about data

thanks

ken tyler