From Avi Flax <a...@arc90.com>
Subject Re: How to create non-admin user account?
Date Wed, 14 Apr 2010 23:37:35 GMT
On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 19:11, J Chris Anderson <jchris@gmail.com> wrote:

> In CouchDB's Futon (0.11) you just click the signup button in the lower right.

Thanks — great screencast! But I meant via the API. I figured it out
by reading the source of jquery.couch.js, but I figure people
shouldn't really have to do that…

As far as I can tell, it's the responsibility of the client to
generate the password hash — that seems kinda onerous. Has there been
any consideration of having the _users DB do that automatically, maybe
using an update handler?

> A list like that would be *awesome*

I'll try to flesh this out later, but off the top of my head:

 * the page with ubuntu installation instructions doesn't specify
which version of ubuntu it's for. it's definitely not 9.10 karmic. I
had to do a lot of searching and poking to figure that out. all the
installation pages should specify OS version numbers. We should
probably have a few different Ubuntu pages. I'll see if I can help
with that.

 * how to use oauth authentication

 * how to copy a design doc from one DB to another, quickly and easily

 * virtual hosts (I think we can just paste this in from Jan's great
post on blog.couch.io)

 * how to create users via the API

 * how to replicate only certain docs

 * how the database-level security works — all I could find was the
"security" dialog in futon, which is very… terse

 * which JS library to use if you're building a standalone JS UI, not
as a couchapp, and where to find it

 * how to store templates in the DB and then access/retrieve them in
show and list functions

 * how to store JS libs such as mustache in the DB and then use them
in show and list functions (AKA require)

BTW, as long as we're talking docs, the replication page in the wiki says:

At this time, CouchDB doesn’t remember continuous replications over a
server restart.

Is that still the case? Is there a plan to fix this before 1.0?