From "Jim R. Wilson" <wilson.ji...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB and Hadoop
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2010 16:46:41 GMT
Hi Steve,

Clarification points:  Hadoop is not a filesystem, it's an
implementation of MapReduce.  For sharing files around the cluster,
Hadoop uses HDFS (the Hadoop Distributed File System) by default, and
can also use other filesystems (I believe it supports Amazon S3
storage if the cluster is in EC2).

So, the questions become:

* Could the data file for a CouchDB database be stored in HDFS?
* Could the MapReduce tasks executed by CouchDB be offloadad to Hadoop?

I think the answers to both are "probably".  How much work it would
take to implement such a system is an open question.  I suspect
storing the data file on HDFS would be easier than offloading the
mapreduce tasks.

As far as handling the Java to Erlang/JavaScript mismatch, I think
that particular piece can be addressed by using Hadoop Streaming[1].
I have done a fair amount of work using Python to work on JSON objects
over Hadoop Streaming - Erlang/JavaScript should be no different.

The real question in my mind is, "why do any of this?".  Both Hadoop
and CouchDB are fine systems with particular goals in mind.  I'm not
convinced there's significant value in Frankensteining them together.

Just my $0.02

[1] http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/r0.15.2/streaming.html

-- Jim R. Wilson (jimbojw)