From John Merrells <j...@merrells.com>
Subject Re: last compact time || updates since last compact
Date Sat, 24 Apr 2010 17:27:52 GMT

On Apr 24, 2010, at 10:12 AM, Nils Breunese wrote:

> How much should a database change before you'd want to compact it?

Good question.... the edge case is easy though... zero changes means that the compaction is
pointless.

Since my email I've noticed that compacting a compacted database does seem to be pretty quick
for a db of ~20mb. Maybe a second or two.

I think my query here was more driven by the fact that my script kept bombing out from a 500
coming back from the server and it was restarting and doing rework which was just boring for
me to watch.

> In what way would you measure that

info returns update_seq which could be used to determine the number of updates (i assume)....
also info returns the total database file size and the number of documents so you can work
out the average bytes per document.... for which there could be a threshold over which compaction
is clearly required.

John

--
John Merrells