From J Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org
Date Tue, 13 Apr 2010 20:35:48 GMT

On Apr 13, 2010, at 1:22 PM, James Fisher wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 8:40 PM, J Chris Anderson <jchris@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Apr 13, 2010, at 12:21 PM, James Fisher wrote:
>>
>>> Apalling internet connection atm.  Try:
>> http://i41.tinypic.com/156aeds.jpg
>>>

>> I really like the simplicity.
>>

> Thanks.
>

>> I think you will have a hard time convincing people to change the word mark
>> associated with the current CouchDB / Relax logo. If you can go back to the
>> old (less relaxing) font and type-setting for that,
>

> Mmm, I do wonder how ingrained it is.  I suppose the pros and cons are:
>
> ---
>
> Myriad (if that is what it is) pros:
>
> * Expensive.  Possibly gives a subconscious feel of luxury.
> * Already used.  If (if) CouchDB already has a well-ingrained brand
> identity, it's wise to keep it.

I think the "Already used" point is the most salient. There are already a ton of t-shirts,
releases, etc all using the current logo.

I think if we were gonna move from the current logo / word mark, we'd only move to something
even more expensive. But that's my opinion...

CouchDB is relaxing, but overplaying that too much can scare away people who want to use it
for serious things.