From Nils Breunese <N.Breun...@vpro.nl>
Subject RE: Which Java library to choose?
Date Thu, 22 Apr 2010 18:46:24 GMT
I have never used a dedicated Java library to access CouchDB since it's all simply REST, but
there's two that I know of: couch4j [0] and jcouchdb [1]. Neither look like they've been updated
for CouchDB 0.11 yet.

I actually wrote some code today to access CouchDB from a Java CMS backend, parse the JSON
result into a Map using Jackson's simple data binding [2] and provide that structure to a
template for rendering. That's sounds like a lot of work in Java, but it was actually pretty
easy and I didn't feel I needed a full on CouchDB library. The gist of it was:

----
ObjectMapper mapper = new ObjectMapper();
URL url = new URL("http://couchdb.example.com:5984/db/doc");
Map<String, Object> doc = mapper.readValue(url.openStream(), Map.class);
----

But yeah, sure, I understand if you need some more abstraction (although Jackson's full data
binding might also help here). There's tons of JSON libraries for Java (json-lib, Jettison,
Svenson, Jackson, Gson, etc.) and I officially like Jackson best since today. For a little
higher level abstraction I'd try something like Spring's RestTemplate or other REST-oriented
tools. Or yeah, try a dedicated CouchDB library.

Happy hacking!

Nils Breunese.

[0] http://couch4j.org/
[1] http://code.google.com/p/jcouchdb/