From J Chris Anderson <jch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2010 22:17:40 GMT

On Apr 19, 2010, at 11:41 AM, James Fisher wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I've had a long weekend away.  Nice to see this thread's still active.
>
> I've procured a copy of Myriad, and swapped Candela out.  My opinions
> haven't really changed in that regard, but the majority seem to be in favour
> of keeping Myriad.  (Though I almost cried at comparisons of Candela with
> Comic Sans.  I could show you what that would look like; you'd be
> horrified.  It's a shame that that abomination has destroyed any
> reputability of any other rounded fonts.)

I'm fairly certain that we can't check Myriad into the ASF repo, no matter what. (Well, unless
we can convince the authors to put it under an open license.)

On a separate note I'm not sure how I feel about CSS fonts in general. Maybe I'm an old timer,
but Helvetica and Georgia are all we really need!

Too bad, the Myriad screenshot looks really nice, but I think we shouldn't get too hooked
on the impossible.

> WRT Chris' fork:
>
> * I like the copy; I've pulled it

Thanks! (Although your screenshot still shows the old copy.)

I also changed the quote to one that doesn't mention Django at all:

“I’ve never seen software that so completely embraces the philosophies behind HTTP...
this is what the software of the future looks like.”
— Jacob Kaplan-Moss, Django creator

> * The background color I was using was too gloomy, but I'm not sure swapping
> back to plain is the best solution.  I've lightened the cyans I was working
> with.
> * I understand the desire to keep the old logotype, but the "relax" slogan
> looks even more cramped now that the rest of the site has more space.
> * The left-hand-side navigation could be OK if the right CSS was applied.
> The bullet points seriously break up the left align, which I would say is
> bad.  Also, it suffers from the problem that was the reason I moved from
> there: the huge amount of space it takes from the body text.  That's alright
> with promo material, but if (e.g.) you wanted to style a wiki using the same
> (or similar) design, it would be terribly cramped.

I have a feeling pages other than the front page would not dedicate the upper 500px to a relaxing
picture of guy on a Couch under a lamp, so we could so something for nav in that space.

I agree, the bullet list isn't good. That's the point at which I stopped working...

> This is how things stand:
> http://github.com/eegg/couchdb_web/raw/master/screenshot.png

With Myriad, I like the nav at the top right a lot more. Maybe it'll look ok in Helvetica
also?

> Large caveat: the bold text for "CouchDB ... time to relax" should actually
> be in *Semibold*.  Annoyingly, I can't set that with my warez copy of
> Myriad.  Perhaps someone could edit the SVG and re-rasterize, and I'll pull
> it.
>

> James
>
> On Mon, Apr 19, 2010 at 5:11 PM, Robert Dionne <dionne@dionne-associates.com
>> wrote:
>
>> This is looking quite nice. I'm not a grammar expert but I think you can
>> lose the two commas.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Bob

>> CouchDB is built of the Web."

>>> I've forked James' git project and some work on it. Here is a screenshot:
>>>
>>> http://jchrisa.net/media/couchdb-web/couchdb-web.png
>>>
>>> The fork is at http://github.com/jchris/couchdb_web
>>>
>>> The main changes are to the copy, the font (back to myriad) and back
>> toward something like his first layout (but without the pillows.)
>>>
>>> Thanks James for the inspiration. I think this still requires some work,
>> but it was fun to get my hands dirty.
>>>
>>> Chris

>> both

>> pawelstawicki@gmail.com>

> [...]