From J Chris Anderson <jch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB brand identity and design of couchdb.apache.org
Date Wed, 14 Apr 2010 15:35:32 GMT

On Apr 14, 2010, at 4:25 AM, James Fisher wrote:

> OK, I'm still at the messing-around-in-Inkscape stage, but this is how
> things stand (ignore the schema diagram thing, which will obviously be
> redone): http://i43.tinypic.com/23wsapl.jpg
>
> Hopefully I'll have quelled some people:
>
> * lighter, less saturated cyan
> * cushions obliterated; I quite like the new simple text approach with
> extremely ample air around them
> * logotype still in Candela, but with the extra padding removed
> * sponsor logos removed
> * content section widened to full width
>
> Comments?

I think I prefer the cushions (even if they were a bit cute) & the 2 column layout. If
my copy won't fit in the space on the 2 column layout, we can always make it shorter. I for
one don't think there's anything wrong with having a long column.

(Picturing the previous layout in my head) Perhaps the schematic could go just below the cushions,
so that the cushions + schematic are column A, and the longer copy is column B.

Or if not cushions, the links to the sections (without cushions).

I think the sparse header of the previous layout is part of what makes it. Nothing but the
quote and the lamp... very classy. Adding all the links up there breaks the appeal a bit.

Good work on the colors. I'm still missing the old logo-font. There are fully typographed
versions of the logo available here:

http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/supplement/logo/

Cheers,
Chris