From Miles Fidelman <mfidel...@meetinghouse.net>
Subject Re: experience with very large numbers of nodes?
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2010 18:30:04 GMT
Eric Casteleijn wrote:
> On 04/20/2010 01:17 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> Does anybody have any experience with very large Couch deployments - on
>> the order of 100s to 1000s of nodes?
>
> For Ubuntu One, we have a very large number of nodes: one on every
> machine of every user of the service, and then a central node on our
> server (or set of nodes, but each user will only see one) that it
> replicates from and to, and we believe this can be made to scale quite
> well, although we are still in the tuning phase.
Sounds like a good datapoint.  Thanks!

> Each user has their own set of databases though, so there is way less
> replication needed and chance of conflicts, than if you were to have
> one global database that thousands of nodes all replicate between
> eachother.
We're in a situation where we're supporting small-to-mid-sized groups,
each with their own set of documents (think workgroups in a large
corporation).  A particular database would be replicated across anywhere
from 10 to 100 machines - individual laptops and desktops, plus
workgroup servers.  I'm thinking that each user would synchronize with a
local workgroup server, and the workgroup servers would synchronize with
each other.

Miles