From Eric Casteleijn <eric.castele...@canonical.com>
Subject Re: experience with very large numbers of nodes?
Date Tue, 20 Apr 2010 17:30:32 GMT
On 04/20/2010 01:17 PM, Miles Fidelman wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> Does anybody have any experience with very large Couch deployments - on
> the order of 100s to 1000s of nodes?
>
> I'm looking at a peer-to-peer document management application, where
> every user has a copy of Couch on their desktop or a nearby LAN server.
>
> I know that Couch's replication model purports to scale to very large
> numbers of nodes - but has anybody actually tried it, and lived to tell
> the tale?

For Ubuntu One, we have a very large number of nodes: one on every
machine of every user of the service, and then a central node on our
server (or set of nodes, but each user will only see one) that it
replicates from and to, and we believe this can be made to scale quite
well, although we are still in the tuning phase.

Each user has their own set of databases though, so there is way less
replication needed and chance of conflicts, than if you were to have one
global database that thousands of nodes all replicate between eachother.
(In which case I would probably still choose a star topology with a
central server that everyone replicates with, rather than going with
true p2p where everyone replicates with everyone, but that's my
intuition and not a carefully thought out objection. There may be ways
to make that work.)

--
eric casteleijn
https://code.launchpad.net/~thisfred