From Sam Bisbee <sbis...@computervip.com>
Subject Re: Couchdb and PHPUnit
Date Mon, 19 Apr 2010 23:54:14 GMT
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 09:18:36AM +1000, Patrick Barnes wrote:
> That does seem to be the way to go about implementing such a system.
> I will see how I go, and will publish the results if I end up with
> something that seems reusable.

It's probably worth noting that by interfacing with the database you
technically aren't unit testing - it's closer to integration testing. Unit
tests are supposed to test discrete units, and shouldn't rely on (for example)
a database connection.

Yes, this is a bit purist, and no, mocking a database is not always realistic
when time constraints are involved. I know that I didn't want to mock CouchDB
when writing unit tests for Sag (would've been its own project):
http://github.com/ravidgemole/sag/tree/master/tests/.

If anyone is up for mocking CouchDB, then I'm all ears - has this been done in
any other languages yet?

Cheers,

--
Sam Bisbee