From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: standalone attachments and content-encoding header
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2010 22:38:12 GMT
On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 6:34 PM, John Merrells <john@merrells.com> wrote:

> On Mar 17, 2010, at 3:23 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
>
>> Do we support deflate compression? I only remember gzip being part of
>> the compressible attachments patch.
>

> Note that this is just for standalone attachments.... I'm not wanting couch to
> do any inflating or deflating.... I just  want it to send back the original
> content-encoding header. It does this for the content-type, but it should do
> the exact same thing for content-encoding too.
>
> John
>
> --
> John Merrells
> http://johnmerrells.com
> +1.415.244.5808

That's not how HTTP works though. For it to respond with a
the deflate content type and you would have to specify an
Accept-Encoding header that preferred deflate over everything else.

Patching in deflate support is a-ok by me if someone wants to do that.
But just echoing headers isn't a viable solution.

HTH,
Paul Davis