From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: how do you manage re-indexation time of big datasets
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2010 21:13:55 GMT
On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 7:38 PM, Randall Leeds <randall.leeds@gmail.com> wrote:
> At Meebo, we have to re-index when we release new versions of our
> couch apps. We do this by uploading the new design documents with a
> -stage suffix.
>
> We grow our Lounge cluster so that it can support indexing a
> _design/app-stage document while serving requests for _design/app.
> Once app-stage has indexed completely we update app and drop the
> -stage. Since CouchDB checks the actual code content of the view
> functions renaming the design document does not cause CouchDB to
> re-index.
>
> We find that with multi-core systems we rarely have issues with CPU
> load and disk I/O is the bottleneck for both the indexing and serving.
>
> Randall

Smart! thanks for the tip.

In my case it could be different. While you know when you update the
ddocs, i won't have the possibility to control what the user do. So a
manager with a lot of data in its database could update 10-20 times
its couchapp in a day even if I tell them it's bad. I wouldn't care
about that usually except that in this case it will impact other
users. 1 user is ok but imagine 10 or more users doing the same
things.

So i'm not sure how this stuff is manageable....

- benoit