From Ben Hall <ben200...@googlemail.com>
Subject Deciding on the structure of documents
Date Sun, 28 Mar 2010 12:58:33 GMT
Hello,

I'm currently investigating the world of 'NoSQL' and CouchDB. I was
wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some good
resources on how to decide on how to structure documents.  For
example, I'm not sure on when you decide to store everything as a
single document, or two separate documents (example - posts and
comments).

Also in terms of databases - how do you decide if you have one
database, or multiple smaller databases with a subset of data ?

Can relational rules about design still be applied?

In terms of what I'm trying to achieve. I have a product category
containing core ~100000 products. On top of this, each different
'shop' displays a subject of products.

My initial idea was to have a separate database for each 'shop'
containing the products they sell - but this results in a lot of
duplication - how do you handle updates etc?

Once you have the products, how do you handle categories of products etc...

Any pointers on this would be great!

Thank you

Ben