From John Merrells <j...@merrells.com>
Subject Re: standalone attachments and content-encoding header
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2010 23:05:15 GMT

On Mar 17, 2010, at 3:53 PM, Filipe David Manana wrote:

> If the attachment request doesn't have "Accept-Encoding: deflate", then
> couch needs to know the attachment is deflate compressed and uncompress the
> attachment before sending it to the client. A missing Accept-Encoding header
> is the same as "Accept-Encoding: identity, *;q=0".
> Therefore you need to know the attachment was uploaded with deflate encoding
> and how to uncompress it.

If the client uploaded a file with encoding baz, and couch did not know anything
about baz, then yes a client asking for those bits in any encoding other than baz
would not be getting back its bits. But, that is an error in the client(s), not in couch.

I guess we've reached the policy vs mechanism debate. I could go either way on
that one. If I were an IT guy I'd want you to impose policies to stop me doing dumb
things, but I'm a developer and I need some infrastructure to store my blobs and
their metadata. It seems like a worthy use case for couch...

John

--
John Merrells
http://johnmerrells.com