From J Chris Anderson <jch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: standalone attachments and content-encoding header
Date Tue, 23 Mar 2010 00:36:44 GMT

On Mar 22, 2010, at 5:24 PM, Filipe David Manana wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 12:09 AM, Filipe David Manana <fdmanana@gmail.com>wrote:
>

>> Also, supporting multiple content-encodings would imply doing some changes
>> to the code introduced in ticket 639 (applied to trunk only) which adds a
>> new doc query parameter ?att_gzip_length=true. (replacing it with 2
>> parameters such as encoding=<encoding_name> and encoded_length=123).
>>

> Here I meant:
>
> 1) renaming doc query param "att_gzip_length" to something like
> "att_encoded_length"
> 2) replacing the attachment stub field "gzip_length" with the 2 fields
> "encoding" and "encoded_length"
>
> Overall there are only 4 content encodings defined in the http rfc 2616:
> identity, gzip, deflate (zlib's default) and compress (Lempel-Ziv
> compression)

I'd suggest that we don't worry supporting any of those we don't already support. But in the
long run we'll end up supporting the full set of them (as well as all the transcoding uglies
and everything else...)

So we should make sure our public api will accommodate patches to add support for deflate
and compress. This is more important than actually supporting those encodings, for now.

Chris