From Govind P <p.govind....@gmail.com>
Subject Couch DB Deployment
Date Sun, 28 Mar 2010 18:33:08 GMT
Hi ,

I am considering using CouchDB in one of our projects. This project is
already in production.

This project is about tracking parcels across Postal Networks. The postal
networks has got various postal centres through which the parcel moves
before reaching it's final destination. In the earlier design all the Postal
Centres were connected to a data centre and these Postal Centres would
update the current Status of parcel in the Data Centre. End Users could
query an application hosted at Data Centre to track their parcels.

One of the problem is that the network between Postal Centre and the Data
Centre is fragile and keeps on disconnecting... Therefore i was thinking of
using Couch DB in each of these Postal Centres and replicating this with the
Data Centre. This way when the network comes up at a particular Postal
Centre , it sync it's data with the Data Centre. I would like you to comment
whether this would work.

I have couple of scenarios , for which I need your advice :

   1. Let there be a Postal Centres A (Source), B ,C and D(Destination )
   through which a parcel moves. When the parcel moves to A ,an application
   program running at A updates CouchDB at the local centre which is replicated
   at the Data Centre. The Parcel is now send to B. Now , the network between B
   and Data Centre is disconnected. So only the local copy of B is updated and
   not the Data Centre. The parcel is now send to C . Here the local CouchDB at
   C and the Data Centre is Connected so the changes made in CouchDB is also
   replicated at the Data Centre. If now B comes up , would there be a conflict
   situation ... If yes , how can we manage this situation ????
   2. Let there be a Postal Centres A (Source), B ,C and D(Destination )
   through which a parcel moves. When the parcel moves to A ,an application
   program running at A updates CouchDB at the local centre which is replicated
   at the Data Centre. The Parcel is now send to B. Now , the local application
   is down because of a machine failure so no updation is made in the software
   at the local site and the parcel is send to C.Here the local CouchDB at C
   and the Data Centre is Connected so the changes made in CouchDB is also
   replicated at the Data Centre. Now B Comes up and people make changes in
   CouchDB at B .. There might be conflicts here too.. How can we manage this
   situation ????

Regards
Govind