From Nils Breunese <N.Breun...@vpro.nl>
Subject Re: RHEL5.1
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2010 14:18:51 GMT
j d wrote:

> ok, so i have done the following:
>
> rpm -Uvh http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/epel-release-5-3.noarch.rpm
>
> which got me:
>
> Retrieving http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/epel-release-5-3.noarch.rpm
> warning: /var/tmp/rpm-xfer.vbQMsz: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key
> ID 217521f6
> Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
>    1:epel-release           ########################################### [100%]
>
> Now looking at /etc/yum.repo.d/epel.repo shows that the base repo is
> enabled but the debug and source repos are not so I go ahead and
> enable them.

No need to do that. You don't need those.

> yum install ncurses-devel openssl-devel icu libicu-devel js js-devel
> curl-devel erlang
>
> Which got it asking if I wanted to install an older version of js and
> an older version of erlang.  I have already built and installed erlang
> and js.  It also doesn't know about icu or icu-devel or others.

Looks like there's a typo there. The packages are called libicu and
libicu-devel. I recommend removing your own custom builds before
installing everything via yum.

> I exit out and run:
>
> yum install ncurses-devel openssl-devel icu libicu-devel curl-devel erlang
>
> ...hoping that in installing erlang again I'll get my icu packages.
> After running it, I still get the same couchdb compiling errors.
>
> rerunning yum install ncurses-devel openssl-devel icu libicu-devel
> curl-devel erlang now shows nothing to do:
>
> [
> There was an error communicating with RHN.
> RHN support will be disabled.
>
> Error Message:
>     Service not enabled for system profile: "dev-web"
> Error Class Code: 31
> Error Class Info:
>      This system does not have a valid entitlement for Red Hat Network.
>      Please visit https://rhn.redhat.com/rhn/systems/SystemEntitlements.do
>      or login at https://rhn.redhat.com, and from the "Your RHN" tab,
>      select "Subscription Management" to enable RHN service for this system.
> Explanation:
>      An error has occurred while processing your request. If this problem
>      persists please enter a bug report at bugzilla.redhat.com.
>      If you choose to submit the bug report, please be sure to include
>      details of what you were trying to do when this error occurred and
>      details on how to reproduce this problem.
>
> Setting up Install Process
> Setting up repositories
> epel                      100% |=========================| 3.4 kB    00:00
> rpmforge                  100% |=========================| 2.6 kB    00:00
> rhel-debuginfo            100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> adobe-linux-i386          100% |=========================|  951 B    00:00
> Reading repository metadata in from local files
> Parsing package install arguments
> No Match for argument: ncurses-devel
> No Match for argument: openssl-devel
> No Match for argument: icu
> No Match for argument: libicu-devel
> No Match for argument: curl-devel
> Nothing to do
> ]

Those packages should be available from your OS base repositories.
Apparently you don't have those configured for yum. It also looks like
you don't have a valid entitlement for Red Hat Network, which might
explain why you can't install anything from Red Hat Network.

Nils.