From Nick Poulden <n...@domine.co.uk>
Subject Performance when sending array of keys to a view
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2010 19:23:34 GMT
Hi,

I'm developing a web app with node.js and CouchDB that displays nearby
restaurants when given a lat/lng. At the moment I'm storing the restaurant
data in CouchDB and a MySQL table with couchdb-key / lat / lng for each
restaurant. I query MySQL for the nearby restaurants, then do a POST to a
CouchDB view with the keys returned by MySQL.

The problem is that there seems to be a huge difference in performance when
sending the list of keys compared to a 'normal' view query.

Here's an example:

var db = CouchDB.db('restaurants');
profiles.push(["Before Couch request: ", Number(new Date)])
db.view('Restaurant/by_idx', {keys: restaurant_keys, include_docs: true,
success: function(response) {
  profiles.push(["After couch result: ", Number(new Date)])
}});

Start: 0 ms
Before MySQL connect: 0 ms
Got MySQL result: 17 ms
Before Couch request: 18 ms
After couch result: 272 ms

If I replace line 3 with this:

db.view('Restaurant/by_idx', {limit: 20, include_docs: true, success:
function(response) {

I get this:

Start: 0ms
Before MySQL connect: 0 ms
Got MySQL result: 12 ms
Before Couch request: 13 ms
After couch result: 21 ms

In both cases there are about 20 restaurants returned. The database has
about 500 documents in it altogether. Can anyone shed some light on why
there is such a big difference in response time?

Thanks,

Nick