From j d <dobber1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: RHEL5.1
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2010 13:55:04 GMT

> I haven't tried CouchDB 0.11 yet, but I have installed previous versions
> on RHEL 5 just fine. If you enable the EPEL repository [0] you can
> install all the dependencies through yum. See
> http://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Installing_on_RHEL5 for more info. If you
> prefer to build ICU, SpiderMonkey and Erlang yourself I'm afraid I can't
> help you there, as I have never done that.
>
> Nils Breunese.
>
> [0] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL

ok, so i have done the following:

rpm -Uvh http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/epel-release-5-3.noarch.rpm

which got me:

Retrieving http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/epel-release-5-3.noarch.rpm
warning: /var/tmp/rpm-xfer.vbQMsz: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key
ID 217521f6
Preparing...                ########################################### [100%]
   1:epel-release           ########################################### [100%]

Now looking at /etc/yum.repo.d/epel.repo shows that the base repo is
enabled but the debug and source repos are not so I go ahead and
enable them.

yum install ncurses-devel openssl-devel icu libicu-devel js js-devel
curl-devel erlang

Which got it asking if I wanted to install an older version of js and
an older version of erlang.  I have already built and installed erlang
and js.  It also doesn't know about icu or icu-devel or others.

I exit out and run:

yum install ncurses-devel openssl-devel icu libicu-devel curl-devel erlang

...hoping that in installing erlang again I'll get my icu packages.
After running it, I still get the same couchdb compiling errors.

rerunning yum install ncurses-devel openssl-devel icu libicu-devel
curl-devel erlang now shows nothing to do:

[
There was an error communicating with RHN.
RHN support will be disabled.

Error Message:
    Service not enabled for system profile: "dev-web"
Error Class Code: 31
Error Class Info:
     This system does not have a valid entitlement for Red Hat Network.
     Please visit https://rhn.redhat.com/rhn/systems/SystemEntitlements.do
     or login at https://rhn.redhat.com, and from the "Your RHN" tab,
     select "Subscription Management" to enable RHN service for this system.
Explanation:
     An error has occurred while processing your request. If this problem
     persists please enter a bug report at bugzilla.redhat.com.
     If you choose to submit the bug report, please be sure to include
     details of what you were trying to do when this error occurred and
     details on how to reproduce this problem.

Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
epel                      100% |=========================| 3.4 kB    00:00
rpmforge                  100% |=========================| 2.6 kB    00:00