From "Roessner, Silvester" <silvester.roess...@vision.zeiss.com>
Subject AW: Why is the actual size of a database 4 times larger than the netto payload?
Date Wed, 24 Mar 2010 15:55:52 GMT
<silvester.roessner@vision.zeiss.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 24 2010 at 10:06 Benoit Chesneau wrote:
>>
>> I tried it with consecutive ids as well but I the database is still 4

>> times as big as the payload.
>> I think I must live with this fact.
>>

>> Silvester
>>

> The consecutive id's only make a difference when using _bulk_docs
because it removes the holes in the append > only btree.

> Did you check to see what the file size was after a compaction? It
should be significantly better.

Hi Paul,

I just compacted the database containing 100 documents with consecutive
id's.
The size of the database kept the same.

Here you can see what my test looks like.
#document is just a record I use to store metadata.
cma_document:save/1 will save #document with the given _id in CouchDB.

Silvester

=== Code

test6(Start, End) when End >= Start ->
	Database = "jobs",
	Empty = cma_document:new(Database),
      {ok, UTF8} =
file:read_file("V:/Product/CalcEngine/interface/OneC/Version-1.0/test/Cz
vRx/Output-localhost/13.onec.js"),
 	Filled = cma_document:set_content(Empty, UTF8),
	test6_loop(Filled, Start, End).

test6_loop(Document, Start, End) when Start =< End ->
	io:format("~p ", [Start]),
	if Start rem 10 =:= 0 ->
		   io:format("~n");
	   true ->
		   ok
	end,
	{ok, _} = cma_document:save(Document#document{id =
integer_to_list(Start)}),
	test6_loop(Document, Start + 1, End);

test6_loop(_, _, _) ->
	io:format("~n").