From John Merrells <j...@merrells.com>
Subject Re: standalone attachments and content-encoding header
Date Wed, 17 Mar 2010 20:32:24 GMT

On Mar 17, 2010, at 1:24 PM, Brian Candler wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 12:39:15PM -0700, John Merrells wrote:
>> I just started working with couch and I have a question about the headers
>> returned with a standalone attachment.  I'm storing compressed html files
>> as an attachment, sending the headers content-type: text/html and
>> content-encoding: deflate.  When the attachment is fetched the correct
>> content-type is returned, but no content-encoding header is returned.  Is
>> this a limitation of CouchDB?  Or, perhaps of my client (CouchRest)?  Or,
>> perhaps I've just made a mistake.
>
> Try adding --compressed option to curl command line (and GET not HEAD).
> This should add "Accept-Encoding: deflate, gzip" header to the request. That
> is - if the client doesn't ask for a compressed representation, I don't
> think couchdb will send it.

I'll give it a go...

[13:27][john@johnmerrellsmacbookpro:~/jj/reflector(master)]$ curl http://host:port/pages/http%3A%2F%2Fjohnmerrells.com/page
--compressed -i
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: CouchDB/0.10.1 (Erlang OTP/R13B)
ETag: "2-1d1c512ddcf00a7d8b1a7f8052f06314"
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2010 20:28:01 GMT
Cache-Control: must-revalidate

...but I don't think that's the problem really.

I'm not asking couch to compress the content before sending it, as I compressed
it before I pushed it up. All I want is for couch to send me back that content-encoded
header that I sent up with it.... then the user agent will do the right thing when it
resolve the attachment url into couch.... right now the browser gets text/html and
a bunch of binary... if it had content-encoded then it'd know to decompress it before
displaying it....

John

--
John Merrells