From Bruno Ronchetti <bruno.ronche...@mac.com>
Subject Re: View output slow
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2010 19:12:39 GMT
Hi Julian,

I also notice that your map function emits once for every *letter* in the author's name.

For instance having just one entry in the db:

{
   "_id": "01943fed255df913c33cab5c27b3bc7e",
   "_rev": "1-8288a511edad170e8e806281d0188033",
   "author": "Karl Marx",
   "title": "Das Kapital"
}

yields following results:

{"rows":[
{"key":null,"value":9}
]}

and, using the group=true clause for increased clarity, yields:

{"rows":[
{"key":" ","value":1},
{"key":"a","value":2},
{"key":"K","value":1},
{"key":"l","value":1},
{"key":"M","value":1},
{"key":"r","value":2},
{"key":"x","value":1}
]}
This could be another factor contributing to the slowness of your view.

Cheers. Bruno.

On 12/mar/2010, at 14.10, Julian Stahnke wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I have a problem with a view being slow, even though it’s indexed and cached and so
on. I have database of books (–120,000 documents) and a map/reduce function that counts
how many books there are per author. I’m then calling the view with ?group=true to get the
list. I’m neither emitting nor outputting any actual documents, only the counts. This results
in an output of about 78,000 key/value pairs that look like the following: {"key":"Albert
Kapr","value":3}.

> Now, even when the view is indexed and cached, it still takes 60 seconds to receive the
output, using PHP’s cURL functions, the browser, whatever I’ve tried. Getting the same
output served from a static file takes only a fraction of a second.

> When I set limit=100, it’s basically instantaneous. I want to sort the output by value
though, so I can’t really limit it or use ranges. Trying it with about 7,000 books, the
request takes about 5 seconds, so it seems to be linear to the number of lines being output?

> I’m using CouchDB 0.10.1 (the one that’s in homebrew) on a 2006 MacBook Pro.
>
> Am I doing anything wrong, or should this really take so long? I wasn’t able to find
any information about this—only about indexing being slow, but that doesn’t seem to be
my problem.

> Maybe I should also mention that I’m an interaction design student who used to be a
front-end dev, but not a ‘real’ programmer.