From Randall Leeds <randall.le...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Several newbie CouchDB questions.
Date Wed, 24 Feb 2010 21:52:34 GMT
Looks like #lounge on Freenode is uninhabited. I will be idling there from
now on. Please join me.

On Feb 24, 2010 1:49 PM, "Randall Leeds" <randall.leeds@gmail.com> wrote:

Hey,

Glad to see more conversation like this popping up.

I've been working with Markus as well as a couple other people in the
community who have approached me individually with Lounge questions or
problems.

Markus is right: oversharding [M shards, N nodes | M > N] allows you to grow
and shrink the cluster fairly easily. Theoretically it would be fairly
straightforward to create a tree of Lounges if you need to grow beyond M
nodes. Supporting replication into/out of the Lounge would get us 90% of the
way toward making this easy. I think this concept is even discussed briefly
in the O'Reilly book.

In environments that receive regular writes an update-notifier script is all
that is needed to periodically refresh nodes that have missed updates (due
to downtime, etc). Lounge relies on this for consistency since it is
currently designed to write to any replica of a shard.

I'm fine to continue discussing Lounge here, but if consensus is that we
should have a separate list please recommend a solution.

I don't believe that the CouchDB wiki is the right place for documentation,
but there should be a clustering faq or something which links to any
available projects (currently only Lounge is public, I believe).

I would absolutely love to get the documentation sorted out and clean up
what's left of the googlecode -> github migration. I'll try to do that this
weekend.

I'm always happy to see community interest. Get in touch if you'd like to
help with anything and let me know if I can answer your questions.

Randall