From Noah Slater <nsla...@tumbolia.org>
Subject Re: Windows installer 0.10.1
Date Thu, 18 Feb 2010 01:25:00 GMT
Interesting.

So to do a release, we'd need two people involved. Me, presumably, for the UNIX tarball, and
yourself for the Windows installer. Is there a single file that is generated by your build
system, that will work for all Windows users? How tested is it? Would you be confident including
it as part of the 0.11 release?

I guess all we'd have to do, if you were confident in what we have already, is branch like
usual, prepare the release artefacts separately, move them to my p.a.o account, and call a
vote on them at the same time.

Any ASF wonks on this list know if there is anything to consider here? Do we have to have
two votes for two release artefacts, or can we vote on them as part of a single release?

On 17 Feb 2010, at 23:58, Mark Hammond wrote:

>> On 17 Feb 2010, at 22:02, Mark Hammond wrote:
>>
>>> Most of the projects I am familiar with rely on someone with a windows machine
making the windows build independently of the releases for other platforms.  Specifically,
the Windows binary build process is not a cross-platform build process, so making a release
for all platforms from a single machine probably isn't viable.

>> I don't know much about C.
>>
>> Is there any reason we can't cross-compile on Linux for Windows?
>
> Erlang itself and the couchdb C bits are all built with the MS C compiler, and no version
of that exists for Linux, cross-compiling or otherwise.  The readme for the erlang win32 build
process has details on why this compiler is used instead of gcc.

> I should also note that the build process on Windows has a number of pre-requisites -
it assumes erlang itself, plus icu, spidermonkey etc have also been built and can be referenced
by the couchdb build process.  Each of these projects has their own build process and AFAIK,
none of them support cross-compiling (they all use the MS compiler too).  FWIW, the instructions
for windows in the README are accurate.

> There is also the final complication that the 'inno' installation package used to perform
the installation itself is Windows only.