From Bruno Ronchetti <bruno.ronche...@mac.com>
Subject Help with couchdb-lucene
Date Thu, 25 Feb 2010 11:12:27 GMT
Hi everyone,

I am sort of a beginner and was trying my hand at couchdb-lucene.

I have followed instructions on github and on various blog pages around, but now I am kind
of stuck. Here is where I am:

COUCHDB
I guess I am ok here, since i have been playing around with it for a while. I am on version
 {"couchdb":"Welcome","version":"0.11.0b902541"}

COUCHDB-LUCENE
I have installed it following instructions on github and it seems to be running.

When I curl 'http://127.0.0.1:5985' I get the (seemingly satisfactory) response: {"couchdb-lucene":"Welcome","version":"0.5.0"}.

I have build a fulltext indexing view like that:
{
   "_id": "_design/fulltext",
   "_rev": "7-0d7cc995c51f36af49af2bfe18213f27",
   "language": "javascript",
   "fulltext": {
       "by_content": {
           "index": "function(doc) {  var ret=new Document();  ret.add(doc.name);  return
ret;}"
       }
   }
}
and my document contain a "name" property.

Where I suspect things fail is in the hookup of couchdb and couchdb-lucene.

I have modified the .ini file like that:
[update_notification]
indexer=/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Commands/java -jar /Users/brunoronchetti/couchdb-lucene/target/couchdb-lucene-0.5-SNAPSHOT.jar

[external]
fti = /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6/Commands/java -jar /Users/brunoronchetti/couchdb-lucene/target/couchdb-lucene-0.5-SNAPSHOT/tools/couchdb-external-hook.py

[httpd_db_handlers]
_fti = {couch_httpd_external, handle_external_req, <<"fti">>}
but there must be something wrong in there, as nothing happens.

I am even unable to find the couchdb-lucene logs (where are they supposed to be?). I have
changed the permissions on the /target/...SNAPSHOT/indexes folder but I still do not see any
changes.

I must be doing something really stupid, but need help.

And, btw, I love couchdb and think that a tight integration with lucene is the recipe to great
applications and user-experience. Congratulations to everyone involved.

Regards. Bruno.