From Mark Hammond <skippy.hamm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Windows installer 0.10.1
Date Wed, 17 Feb 2010 23:58:47 GMT

> On 17 Feb 2010, at 22:02, Mark Hammond wrote:
>
>> Most of the projects I am familiar with rely on someone with a windows machine making
the windows build independently of the releases for other platforms.  Specifically, the Windows
binary build process is not a cross-platform build process, so making a release for all platforms
from a single machine probably isn't viable.

> I don't know much about C.
>
> Is there any reason we can't cross-compile on Linux for Windows?

Erlang itself and the couchdb C bits are all built with the MS C
compiler, and no version of that exists for Linux, cross-compiling or
otherwise.  The readme for the erlang win32 build process has details on
why this compiler is used instead of gcc.

I should also note that the build process on Windows has a number of
pre-requisites - it assumes erlang itself, plus icu, spidermonkey etc
have also been built and can be referenced by the couchdb build process.
  Each of these projects has their own build process and AFAIK, none of
them support cross-compiling (they all use the MS compiler too).  FWIW,
the instructions for windows in the README are accurate.

There is also the final complication that the 'inno' installation
package used to perform the installation itself is Windows only.

Cheers,

Mark