From Russell Brown <>
Subject Installing form source on OS X Snow Leopard
Date Fri, 12 Feb 2010 14:22:28 GMT
I have been following the instructions at
to install couchdb from source. I have a MacBook Pro from 2007-2008 (pre unibody) running
snow leopard. When I run "arch" I get i386.

I am able to build everything following the instructions but when I start couchdb I get the
following crash report

=INFO REPORT==== 12-Feb-2010::10:58:58 ===
    application: couch
    exited: {bad_return,{{couch_app,start,
2): no suitable image found.  Did find:\n\t/Users/russell/couchdb/lib/couchdb/erlang/lib/couch-0.11.0b909351/priv/lib/
mach-o, but wrong architecture"}}}
    type: temporary

I guessed that maybe the

/runConfigureICU MacOSX --with-library-bits=64 --disable-samples --enable-static # if this
fails for you try: ./configure --enable-64bit-libs

was to blame so I tried building icu again without the 64 bit options. I rebuilt couchdb and
still had the same error when I tried to run it. In desperation I removed icu and installed
MacPorts and asked that to install icu for me. I rebuilt couchdb again and still get the same
error when I try to start it.

I googled around a bit. I can't find that exact error to do with couchdb but I have found
similar stuff that seems to be mainly people trying to build 32 bit code on 64 bit machine.

I'm sort of at a loss. I know I can use CouchDBX (in fact I have done before) but I wanted
to see if I could build from source (I guess not ;)) and try a get a bit more control over
my environment. I have one deployed website backed by couchdb (on ubuntu) so I thought I'd
be better trying to set up a dev env closer to the deployed env.

I know this is not strictly speaking a couchdb issue, but if anyone out there has seen this
before or can help I appreciate it.

Thanks in advance