From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Turning continuous replication back on
Date Mon, 04 Jan 2010 17:57:21 GMT
On Mon, Jan 4, 2010 at 6:34 AM, Lena Herrmann <lena@zeromail.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> let's say I have a continuous replication running from a "client" to a
> "server", so that changes on the client are replicated to the server. When
> the server goes offline, I understand that the client tries to replicate
> every second, then every 2 seconds, every 4, 8, 16 and so on.
>
> My question: Is there a way to turn the continuous replication back on in my
> JS application on the client? For example, checking every X seconds with
> setTimeout if I can load something from the server, and when the server is
> there again, I'd like to tell the client's continuous replication to go back
> to very small timeouts between attempts.

I haven't tried it, but the first thing I'd try is just triggered
another continuous replication. It certainly won't hurt, and it might
be just what you're looking for.

This brings to mind that we'd do well to have the continuous
replication configuration stored somewhere that's not voodoo. Like in
a database, so you could just edit a document to refresh it.

Adam, any thoughts on this?

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net