From Simon Metson <>
Subject Re: Initial couchdb accounts feedback
Date Mon, 11 Jan 2010 09:21:44 GMT
	I can imagine a database existing already with the name usr (or user,
or auth), the name _usr (or _user or _auth) would be rarer (imho)
exactly because the _ is already reserved in CouchDB. The _ databases
will also sort and be next to one another, and all be special, whereas
there may be other three letter databases beginning with u in the
Couch, so I think the visual variation is better.

On 10 Jan 2010, at 23:42, cinnebar wrote:

> I think its a worthwhile discussion to have but not sure if its
> entirely
> relevent to this thread?
> breifly: limiting a set of keys to three letters, where other keys
> are not
> makes keys from the set instantly uniquely disinguishable.  common
> practice
> would be user or users so in the context usr is a unique identifier.
> whereas in "_users" the visual variation is a _ which is harder to
> distinguish in a list of names from user or users or other names using
> regular english terms for things you would want to keep in a db,
> _imhos.
> (also i would hope that the question is more an effort to establish
> best
> practice rather than lazy antagonism)
> cheers
> On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 6:38 AM, Noah Slater <>
> wrote:
>> On 10 Jan 2010, at 19:19, cinnebar wrote:
>>> i was talking about a set that is uniquely distinguishable, even
>>> from the
>>> set using underscores
>> What makes "usr" uniquely distinguishable in a way that "_users" is
>> not?
>> To quote Sam Ruby, and applying it to URLs (which are opaque
>> buckets of 1s
>> and 0s), it's just data!

View raw message