From "Markus Jelsma" <mar...@buyways.nl>
Subject Re: cdb-lucene question (is there a better place for these?)
Date Mon, 11 Jan 2010 22:59:16 GMT
Hello Alex,

The first question that comes to mind is: do you really exceed the
so-called 2kb URL limit that at least some old version of IE force upon
you? But on the other hand, do you really expose the complete Lucene query
to the public? If not, then you can only stumble upon Erlang's limit or
the limit enforced by your proxy; Apache can handle at least a 8kb URL and
Nginx maybe even more.

Also, using a POST for searches is breaking HTTP's semantics; it would
make no sense using HTTP POST for retrieval or search operations and
therefore i for instance would argue against making a fork for something
that breaks with decent semantics.

Finally, even if you expose your query to the public (and therefore having
to conform the the limits of the weakest link; IE with about 2kb limit),
would you really build a search query using more than that many bytes?

Cheers,