From Luke Sneeringer <lukesneerin...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: No safe way to query and not ever reduce a view.
Date Thu, 10 Dec 2009 19:33:32 GMT
On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 9:51 AM, Timothy Baldridge <tbaldridge@gmail.com> wrote:
> To play the devil's advocate here, I'd say that duplicating code is a
> bad idea. Now all changes to the un-reduced view must also be made the
> reduced view.

This is my issue with that solution too. I don't like repeating myself.
The reason my code doesn't know what view it is is because I wrote a layer for communicating
with CouchDB that's independent of the view being called, in the interest of saving myself
time in the long run. So, I have an agnostic method that I want to query an arbitrary view,
with arbitrary start and end keys, and give me non-reduced results.

> Secondly, I agree with the OP, it seems odd that CouchDB is so
>"relaxed" when it comes to document structure, but a simple thing like
> silently disregarding an argument will cause it to complain.
I tend to like strict error checking, actually. My gripe really isn't that the error checking
is strict, but rather that I can't discover how to send a well-formed request that doesn't
get the error. Rather, I have to send the request, see whether I get the error, and send a
corrected request if I do. That's sloppy.

Best Regards,
Luke