From Sean Clark Hess <seanh...@gmail.com>
Subject Two Concerns
Date Wed, 30 Dec 2009 22:08:57 GMT
So, I really like couch, but there are two complaints I have read that I
would like to resolve.

First, in the "latency" section of this blog post -
http://blog.woobling.org/2009/05/why-i-dont-use-couchdb.html - the author
says that Couch has performance issues because of the json/http layer. Is he
doing something wrong? Is it only applicable if you make multiple
connections from middleware at the same time? I was thinking that EVERY
database technology needs to open a socket connection (like MySQL from PHP)
so what's the difference?

Second, the replication system seems to be hotly contested. I don't really
understand how letting my data be inconsistent solves more problems than it
creates. I would think that data inconsistency would only be acceptable for
very specific apps.

If I DO need consistency, will it be easy to replicate/scale horizontally?
 Or will it require as much or more work as a "normal" master-slave
environment?

Thanks for pushing the envelope. I love the idea, I'm just still figuring
out whether couch is suitable for generic projects (or in other words, for
projects that don't fit the use cases exactly).

~sean