From Sean Clark Hess <seanh...@gmail.com>
Subject Designing a database
Date Tue, 29 Dec 2009 06:09:55 GMT
Our system will have comments related to live data - imagine people
commenting on tweets right after they are written.

I'm having trouble deciding how to model it. It makes a lot of sense to make
one document containing all the comments for each data segment, but we could
theoretically have hundreds of users commenting on the same segment at
once.

Would data consistency become a nightmare? With an RDBMS you would have a
comments table, and insert a new row for each comment - preventing
conflicts. I could do the same thing with couch, by adding a separate
document for each comment, but it seems to violate a fundamental principle
of couch.

Is Couch DB a bad fit for an update-heavy system? Updates will only be heavy
within the first minute or so after the data is released, then it will
switch to a very read-heavy system.

Thanks for your help