From "Thomas Mühlichen" <blogsp...@wolke7.net>
Subject Re: CouchDB not listening on Port 5984
Date Tue, 15 Dec 2009 00:07:28 GMT

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 18:44:26 -0500
> Von: Paul Davis <paul.joseph.davis@gmail.com>
> An: user@couchdb.apache.org
> Betreff: Re: CouchDB not listening on Port 5984

> On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 6:29 PM,  <blogspace@wolke7.net> wrote:
> > I have problems to get couchdb work.
> >
> > I installed it from svn on a ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS system.
> >
> > When i start /usr/local/etc/init.d/couchdb start it says "Starting
> database server couchdb    [ OK ]", the process is running but not listening
> on port 5984, there is unfortunately not log output and when i stop it, it
> says "Stopping database server couchdb  [ OK ]", but the processes are
> still running.
> >
> > I also installed erlang from source (Erlang R13B03 (erts-5.7.4)). I read
> that this problem occurs when couchdb 0.9.x and 0.10.x is installed on the
> same system, because of an erlang error, but i have only the current
> version of couchdb installed.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Many Thanks,
> >
> > Thomas
>
> Thomas,
>
> Can you try running couchdb from the command line and pasting any output?
>
> Something like:
>
> $ sudo su - couchdb
> $ couchdb
>
> Generally these are permissions errors so you might check the README
> for the list of directories that need to be writable by the user
> running couchdb.
>
> HTH,
> Paul Davis

$ sudo su - couchdb
No directory, logging in with HOME=/
$ couchdb

there is no output... (the missing home directory for the couchdb user should not be relevant
i think). i also have set the permissions. and the log directory is still empty:

$ ls -la /usr/local/var/log/couchdb/
total 8
drwxrwx--- 2 couchdb couchdb 4096 2009-12-13 23:40 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root    root    4096 2009-12-13 23:40 ..

Thomas