From Chris Anderson <jch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB Hangs on View Creation
Date Mon, 30 Nov 2009 23:16:23 GMT
On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 2:15 PM, Luke Sneeringer
<lukesneeringer@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good afternoon!
>
> I will preface this by staging that if I'm asking this question in the wrong place, please
feel free to correct me and point me to the right place. I considered filling out a ticket
for this issue, but I wasn't really all that convinced that it was a CouchDB problem rather
than a me problem, so I wanted to ask here first.

This is a great place to ask.

> Onto my issue. I have a database with about 59,000 documents. Some contain attachments,
some do not. I tried to replicate (pull, not push) said database from one CouchDB instance
to another one. The replication failed several times inexplicably, both using curl on the
command line (Ubuntu 9.10) and Futon. Finally, it succeeded in Futon. I am defining "failed"
here as that replication seemed to hang; the number of documents in the target database did
not increase, was less than the number of documents in the source database (by many thousands),
and the item disappeared from the status page in Futon. Also, on the failed attempts, replication
failed in different places each time.

What is your couchdb version on both ends of the replication?

Also, pay attention to database file size on the target. Sometimes
with big attachments the doc count is unchanged as binary data is
written for a long time.

> So eventually it succeeded. Huzzah. Except now I can't create any views. It just doesn't
work. I never see my results. So, I went and started looking at the file being created in
/var/lib/couchdb/0.10.0/.dbname_design/. There's a .view file that gets created, and its size
goes up for awhile and then stops going up. At the time that file size ceases to increase,
I get a erl_crash.dump file that is 0 bytes in length. Not really valuable.

> The view scripts themselves are "known good"; they work on the source server.

Maybe a difference in versions. Can you supply a link to the view scripts?

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net