From Paul Davis <paul.joseph.da...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: all_dbs_active - what should an app do when it gets this?
Date Wed, 25 Nov 2009 20:12:27 GMT
On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 3:08 PM, Damien Katz <damien@apache.org> wrote:
> I think I know what's happening. With delayed commits each database waits ~1
> sec before fully committing to disk. So each database is considered "open"
> until that commit happens. So this looks like normal behavior to me.
>
> We could try to tell a database to fully commit when that happens, then
> close it, but it can take a long time to complete a fsync and a client could
> reopen the database in that time, etc. There are no perfect solutions here.
>
> -Damien

That does seem logical. I've duplicated this behavior in Python as well:

#! /usr/bin/env python

import couchdb
conns = []
for i in range(200):
    conns.append(couchdb.Server("http://127.0.0.1:5984/").create("test-%s" % i))
    docs = [{"_id": "%s" % j, "lang": "erlang"} for j in range(500)]
    conns[-1].update(docs)

And that runs fine with no call to update.

Paul