From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Comment tree design in CouchDB?
Date Wed, 18 Nov 2009 11:45:59 GMT

On 18 Nov 2009, at 11:46, 7zark7 wrote:

> Bit of a design question, hope you can provide some guidance:
>
> I'm writing an internal wiki-like web application, and one of the use-cases is to comment
on a document.

> Domain model is simple:
> a Comment class with text, date, and a collection of child comments.
>
> My first implementation stores the comment tree in a single document, since it is very
easy to serialize and deserialize, and the comment tree itself can be thought of as a holistic
"document".

> This works great, but now running into an issue on how to best support revision conflicts
when multiple people are commenting at the same time.

> If I were to keep the tree stored in a single document, I would have to load the two
conflicting versions in code, manually combine the trees, and then save a new version, correct?

> From a storage-perspective, it seems it would be simpler then to store each comment as
its own document, with a "foreign key" of sorts pointing to a parent comment, which would
be much less likely to have conflicts.

> But then it seems I'm forcing a relational model into a document-based DB.
>
> Any thoughts on this?

Christopher Lenz has a great discussion about this very problem:

http://www.cmlenz.net/archives/2007/10/couchdb-joins

Cheers
Jan