From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: no distributing couchdb?
Date Fri, 20 Nov 2009 20:25:12 GMT
On Nov 14, 2009, at 2:50 PM, James Leek wrote:

> Hi, I'm still a little new to couchdb.  I still trying to understand it's limits and
abilities, and I haven't been able to find anything that definitively answers this question
for me.

> It seems to me that couchdb is not really what one would call a distributed database.
 You can replicate a database to different nodes (computers) and sync them, but view computation
is not distributed like google's MapReduce is.  Is this correct?

> Thanks,
> Jim

Hi Jim, at the moment this is true.  However there is Meebo's CouchDB-Lounge[1] proxy system
that will add this functionality in front of a cluster of standalone CouchDB servers, as well
as ongoing work inside Cloudant[2], a portion of which will be open-sourced, to build a robust
sharding system inside CouchDB itself.  Best,

Adam

[1]: http://tilgovi.github.com/couchdb-lounge/
[2]: http://cloudant.com/