From Devon Weller <dwel...@devonweller.com>
Subject Re: /etc/init.d/couchdb stop never really stops the db
Date Thu, 19 Nov 2009 19:23:23 GMT

I had a similar problem on Centos 5.4.

For me, it was a permissions issue on the log directory.  The
directory of /usr/local/var/log/couchdb was owned by root and did not
have write permissions for the couchdb user.  As a result couchdb
never fully started and could only be killed with manually.

The solution for me was to:

chgrp couchdb /usr/local/var/log/couchdb && chmod g+w /usr/local/var/
log/couchdb

This might need to be fixed in the Makefile.  It might need to know
the name of the user that couchdb will run under and change
permissions of the log directory on "make install".  Perhaps it needs
an option like with-user=couchdb.

- Devon