From Brian Candler <B.Cand...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: no distributing couchdb?
Date Sun, 15 Nov 2009 09:05:35 GMT
On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 11:50:01AM -0800, James Leek wrote:
> view computation is not distributed like
> google's MapReduce is.  Is this correct?

Basically - although I believe there are projects which can combine multiple
database "shards" into a single view.

But the big difference with CouchDB's Map/Reduce is that it is persistent
and incrementally updated. That is, if you import 10 million documents then
the first view computation will be slow. However, after that you'll get
instant answers - and if you add or update 1,000 documents then only those
documents are mapped again.